Director of Business Development
About The Job:
Derris is looking for a Director of Business Development to join our Senior Leadership Team and work closely with key stakeholders to shape new business strategy and drive conversations forward. In collaboration with the PR/Brand Strategy, Content and Creative, Influencer Marketing, and Experiential teams, the Director of Business Development will champion Derris’ capabilities and help us make smart decisions as we build our client relationships. Furthermore, we are looking for candidates passionate about contributing to a unique company culture, and joining us in a key time of growth as we begin our partnership with BerlinRosen!
Do you have excellent project management skills, and enjoy building processes and keeping them organized? Are you passionate about writing and crafting the perfect sentence? Do you enjoy learning about new industries and meeting new people daily? If yes, read on!
Derris works with and builds great brands we believe in. From lifestyle and fashion, to food, health & wellness, home & hospitality, technology, non-profit, finance, real estate, sports and more — we work with both new and established companies to develop narratives that stand out in cluttered industries. We create unique messaging and execute strategic media relations programs that blend traditionally separate practice areas to offer clients a holistic approach to both consumer and business storytelling. A few of the clients on our roster include: Glossier, Warby Parker, SKIMS, Reformation, Everlane, Alaska Airlines, Good American, Harry’s, Imaginary Ventures and Juxtapose, among many others!
- Lead Derris’ business development strategy by understanding areas of opportunity, evaluating marketplace trends and making informed recommendations
- Spearhead new business funnel from top to bottom; qualifying incoming inquiries, coordinating and joining initial calls with prospective clients, tracking all leads and producing comprehensive weekly status updates and step-back monthly analysis reports
- Track outcomes on an ongoing basis in collaboration with both Derris leadership (role reports to President of Derris) and BerlinRosen leadership to evaluate approach and pivot where needed in order to strategically scale the business
- Develop content including but not limited to; capabilities decks and case studies, pitches, responses to RFPs, and scopes of work by drawing on practice area knowledge, as well as oversee related assignments such as client and competitive research, collaborating with key internal stakeholders (client team leadership, designers, etc.) for the best outcomes
- Lead multiple projects at once, engaging with many different people and personalities, coordinating between teams, researching new projects and drafting tailor-made, engaging written content
- Maintain an organized system of templates, and train staff on how to support business development by following processes and honing their own writing skills
- Collaborate with leadership and the operations team to initiate and develop Derris marketing efforts; award submissions, employer brand materials and more
- 5-7+ years of professional experience, across relevant backgrounds such as public relations, legal, professional services or business sectors
- Experience in business development, including drafting new business proposals and producing tailored research (note: this is not a sales job)
- Excellent project management, with the ability to prioritize work streams and track progress and bandwidth across multiple teams
- Expert multitasker. Ability to keep up with a fast-paced environment while being nimble and maintaining close attention to detail to produce high quality output
- Writes and researches well. Your background in research and written communication includes ensuring every stone is overturned and extensive experience developing sharp, compelling content
- Organization obsessed! Ability to streamline drive folders and create a sustainable and accessible file system for key templates and other materials, for all stakeholders to access
- Experience in client relations—whether it’s been in professional services or elsewhere, we appreciate candidates from all professional backgrounds and are excited to incorporate your myriad of experiences into our work
- Strong proficiency in Google Docs and Google Slides
Benefits of Working for Derris:
We are defined by our dual-pronged approach: first, we help clients shape their message, and then we help communicate that story through earned media. We are industry and stage agnostic, and only work with people, companies and causes we believe in. Our office is located in the Flatiron district of New York City. We maintain a hybrid approach to work life in order to offer flexibility; a minimum of three days per week in the office. From summer Fridays, catered lunches, and discounted gym memberships to company-sponsored sabbaticals, wellness and mentorship programs, we value and facilitate a fully inclusive and holistic employment experience.
Derris provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.